Right smack in the center of the universe is the rotating star we call the Sun. It is the Earth’s most important energy source. Its power is unsurmountable in terms of its ability to sustain life. Without it, we and the world we live in would not exist. Yet, how much do we really know about this fiery sphere of hydrogen and helium?
As a solar power company, our work revolves around the sun so we decided to share a few quick facts about our favorite star:
1. The sun originated about 4.6 billion years ago and is halfway through its life. (Sources: Space.com; Planets.org)
2. The sun is massive – accounting for 99.8% of the solar system’s total mass. (Source: ThePlanets.org)
3. Sun has a diameter of roughly 870,000 miles – large enough to hold 1 million Earths. (Source: ThePlanets.org)
4. The atmosphere of the sun is comprised of the photosphere, chromosphere and solar corona. (Source: PlanetFacts.org)
5. The core of the sun can reach 27 million degrees Fahrenheit (Source: Space.com)
6. The energy created by the Earth’s core is called nuclear fusion. (Source: ThePlanets.org)
7. All nine planets orbit the sun. (Source: Telescope.org)
8. The beautiful Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) and Aurora Australis (Southern Lights) are the result of electrons colliding with the Earth’s atmosphere. (Source: Space Weather Prediction Center)
9. Sun spots (dark spots on the sun that we can see from Earth) are formed by the sun’s powerful magnetic field. (Source: Space.com)
10. Every hour of sunlight produces enough global energy to power the Earth for an entire year. Yet today’s solar technology produces less than one tenth of one percent of global energy demand. (Source: National Geographic)
Harnessing the power
It’s on Fact No. 10 that we’ve built our business. While still in its infancy when compared to its potential impact, the solar energy industry is growing faster than ever before.
In New Jersey alone, 181 Mega Watts (MW) of solar electric capacity was installed in 2015. According to the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA), 91 MW were residential, 48 MW were commercial, and 42 were utility scale. The 1,632 MW of solar energy currently installed in NJ, ranks the state fourth in the country in installed solar capacity. That’s a lot of solar panels generating a lot savings and preserving a lot of natural resources along the way.
While solar may not be right for everyone, it has much to offer to many individuals, families and businesses worldwide. The technology is proven and a solar panel installation is a low-risk improvement with guaranteed performance and savings. Solar systems are safe, tested, virtually maintenance free, and produce 100% clean energy.
Expect the unexpected
In July 2017, the Solar Impulse, a solar-powered airplane, made history. Powered only by the sun, it completed the first round-the-world journey — landing in Abu Dhabi after a 25,000-mile flight that began a year earlier. Its purpose: to promote clean technology. The Solar Impulse did that and so much more as it captured the attention of everyone under the sun. Solar energy is a clean energy solution that really works. If it can power a flight around the world, just imagine what it could do for your business. It’s time to find out.
About TerraSol Energies, Inc.
TerraSol Energies is a family-run business that has served the Tri-State area (PA, NJ, DE) since 2009. Our solar company is focused on solar electric systems. We have one of the area’s most knowledgeable teams of solar specialists. When you work with us you can count on making a smooth transition to clean energy. We provide a turnkey approach, quality products and services, professional advice and expertise, and financial flexibility. To find out more about us and see feedback from our customers, visit our website, or contact us today.